An air compressor can perform in different DIY works through attaching with air tools. Framing task is easy to do by an air compressor. But before buying an air compressor, you have to check a number of specifications first. To get better performance from framing nail guns, you have to pick the best air compressor for framing crew.
But why will you use the best air compressor for framing nailer? Framing and finishing jobs are like arts. The interior design can be striking if the framing nailer performs like magic. Having framing air compressors can make the magic possible. You can choose an air compressor based on your necessity or type of work.
DIYers Pick: 3 Best Air Compressor for Framing Crew
|Campbell Hausfeld 8 Gallon||Color: Black/Blue
Power Source: Corded Electric
Dimensions: 11 x 23 x 26 inches
Capacity: 8 Gallons
|Metabo HPT 6 Gallon||Color: Orange
Model Name: THE TANK
Power Source: Corded Electric
Dimensions: 18.5 x 16 x 16 inches
Capacity: 6 Gallons
|DEWALT 6 Gallon||Color: Silver
Power Source: Corded Electric
Dimensions: 16 x 16 x 17.5 inches
Capacity: 6 Gallons
Voltage: 120 Volts
The air compressor for framing nailer list is formed with some qualities as well as lacking that will help you take right decision. Our pro DIYers checked air tank size, max and regular PSI, number of framing nailer run capacity, CFM, SCFM, portability, durability, maintenance cost etc.
You can pick one from them and for your better knowledge, we have added a buying guide. You can achieve more information and reach the stores to pick a better one. We have selected the top seven air compressors that are perfect for framing crews and you can choose any one of them to ease your work.
Top Pick Air Compressor
Campbell: Best Air Compressor for Framing Crew
- The air compressor is incredibly quiet that is perfect for working in sensitive areas.
- The air compressor has an oil-free and maintenance-free pump for ease of use.
- The unit includes an 8-gallon horizontal tank that fills quickly and operates the framing nailer for a long time.
- It has conveniently placed regulators and gauges that help monitor the tank and pressure line very easily.
- Brand Name: Campbell Hausfeld
- Tank Capacity: 8 gallon
- Noise Level: 68dB
- Product Weight: 67 pounds
- Warranty: 1 year
- Customer rating at Amazon: 4.3 out of 5
With a combination of quiet operation and increased mobility, this Campbell Hausfeld air compressor is the best air compressor for framing crew. The air compressor is also powerful enough to operate any framing nailer for up to 10 hours consistently keeping the environment cool.
Even with its thicker wheels at the rear, it will let the user change the working place whenever want and whether require. This capsule-style air compressor also ensures increased stability while running at a maximum of 125 PSI to let you handle the project like inflation, fastening, and bolting.
- This air compressor is quiet, portable, and powerful enough to handle a variety of compressed air projects. The compressor is also easy to use and has run for longer with the least amount of maintenance.
- The air compressor doesn’t include installation and a user manual, so operating the unit can be hard for a beginner.
Metabo HPT: Best Air Compressor for Framing Nailer
- This air compressor can deliver 4 CFM at 90 PSI, making it perfect for operating multiple large nailers at a time.
- The pancake air compressor has a rubber root and a metal handle for improved stability and mobility.
- This 6-gallon air compressor can consistently drive nails and up to five brad nailers simultaneously.
- It’s an incredibly lightweight air compressor that doesn’t require any maintenance.
- Brand Name: Metabo HPT
- Tank Capacity: 6 Gallons
- Sound Level: 73db
- Product Weight: 41 Pounds
- Warranty: 1 Year
- Customer Rating at Amazon: 4.6 Out Of 5.
Compared to the previous model, this Metabo HPT air compressor may offer shorter runtime but delivers impressive airflow while being able to operate multiple nailers at a time. Even the air compressor is incredibly lightweight and integrated with a metal handle for easier transportation.
So, whether you are a contractor or a DIYer working with a partner, this air compressor will increase the productivity of your ground crew project.
- This lightweight air compressor can deliver more airflow to operate multiple nailer guns at a time efficiently. The air compressor is also well built, easy to carry, and suitable for any busy job site.
- The air compressor is a bit loud and may become hot if it runs for a long time consistently.
Best Pancake Model
DEWALT Pancake: Air Compressor for Framing Nailer
- Dewalt DWFP55126 air compressor deliver 90 PSI regular and 165 maximum pressure.
- The air tank size is 6 gallon/ 22.7 litre.
- You will get a 50 feet extension cord with it.
- The air compressor start up smoothly in Cold weather.
- It creates reasonable noise level that is good for our ears.
DEWALT is a reliable name in the field of air compressors. You will get the perfect type of product line from them which is a proper fit for framing crews. It comes with a 22.7 liter and 6.0-gallon tank. It can deliver up to 90 PSI that is so powerful to make tasks easier. There is an extension cord used to make it use. You can use it in a 50 feet radius to complete your tasks.
The compressor is made with such features that it will start easily in cold weather, so you do not need to take hassle for this. The noise level is quite in the listening range where you can operate it comfortably. You will also get a high PSI air flow to maximize the performance.
From the view of a framing crew, you will find each and every step suitable for your regular last. It is easily run in 120V and you can have the performance properly if it is located one foot away from the wall and any other obstructions. This powerful compressor will make the framing task easy and faster. This is one of the best air compressors for framing from all other available compressors.
- Powerful compressor
- Easy to operate
- Dewalt provide best aftercare service
- Strong pancake model
- Has good working area
- High flow regulator works fast
- Makes medium level sound that can harm listening organ
- The weight is over 30 pounds to carry in working place
California 8010: Air Compressor for Framing Nailer
- California 8010 has an attached air filter that deliver clean air.
- This is an Ultra-quiet air compressor ever in the market.
- The large 8 gallon air tank generate 120 PSI maximum pressure.
- Performs smoothly with only 110V and maintenance cost is low.
You will love this ultra-quiet compressor; it is also Oil-free and works with just an 8-gallon tank. You will find an air filter attached to the system that will give you safe and filtered air. It comes with a wheel kit, and you are able to move it anywhere easily. This feature is awesome in the air compressor models, as for framing works you need to move the machine from one place to another.
If you need to use a hose, you have to get it additionally, as there is no hose included. It can produce 120 PSI that is much powerful to manage the framing task easily. It runs in 110V. 60 Hz. This is an oil-free pump that requires no maintenance at all. It comes with a 1.0 HP motor and that is powerful enough to manage our tasks.
The compressor is equipped with a 8.0-gallon steel air tank that will produce the necessary air pressure for us. You can run it at any temperature and in any place for its interesting features. You will enjoy working with this compressor for low noise and less maintenance. It is a perfect choice for best air compressor for framing nailers.
- Low cost maintenance
- Movable with wheel
- Noise reduced air compressor
- Compressor perform faster
- No hose included
- Need expert attachment for maintenance
CRAFTSMAN: Air Compressor for Framing Nail Gun
- Craftsman is a Pancake design USA made air compressor.
- It has a 6-gallon air tank that works smoothly framing nailer.
- Oil-free pump can run the compressor without long maintenance.
- It creates up to 150 PSI.
- It runs in 120-volt power.
This is another pancake-type air compressor that will make your task smooth. It is equipped with a 6-gallon tank that ensures better performance, portability and stored air. This is a low-maintenance pump that is durable and oil-free. You can enjoy using it for years after years without any noticeable maintenance issues. So, it will be better for you to get to an air compressor like CRAFTSMAN.
It creates 150 PSI and it can produce power for any kind of task. You use this high-power air compressor for nail gun to do framing task effortlessly. You can start it easily in cold weather, that will be a good point if you are living in a cool place or working in winter. You can use the compressor into 90 PSI for better results and perfect framing tasks. It also runs in 120 Volt power.
This air compressor comes with a 13 pieces accessory kit that is very much useful. You will not find such a kit with all the air compressors. The one-year warranty will give you better exposure to using the product continuous. You can use this air compressor for framing nailer too.
- Low maintenance
- Oil-free air compressor
- Working power 90 PSI
- Enough Accessories in Kit
- No wheels for easy movement
- High power required.
Makita MAC2400 Big Bore Framing Air Compressor
- Cast iron pump produces up to 130 PSI and deliver different PSI at different CFM.
- Twin Stacked air tank is better for 2 framing nailers.
- Framing Crew will find Thermal Motor Protection with it.
- It comes with roll cage type design.
- Makita MAC2400 is attached with Industrial Air Filter for clean air.
You will love this Makita air compressor when you will know all the features from the experts. It is a low AMP, 4.2-gallon twin stacked tank and produces 130 PSI. Generally, it delivers 40 PSI and 90 PSI that is perfect for two nailers. It is the perfect equipment for framing that you can use for years. The pump is here Oil-lubricated and for use year after year.
It comes with built-in thermal motor protection that will keep the motor safe from overload. The Roll cage type design is also good for any kind of environment. It has also an industrial-type air filter that gives efficiency and better results. You can pick this machine without any doubt.
For maintenance, you need not to take the hassle. There is an oil sight, where you can see when to do the maintenance easily. It comes with a Big Bore Cylinder and piston that comes with faster recovery and improved performance. You will love this equipment for its better performance.
- Powerful compressor performance
- Low Maintenance required
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Big bore cylinder
- No wheels for easy movement
- Oil maintenance required
SENCO: Portable Air Compressor for Framing Crew
- Senco PC1010 is a One HP compressor.
- Small 1 gallon air tank is portable that helps framing crew to carry.
- Maintenance of the framing crew air compressor is low.
- Senco provide good after sale service with One Year warranty.
This is a conventional capsule-type air compressor that is very much portable and lightweight that you may love to have on your working site. As a framing crew, you will love this air compressor to make your task faster. It is operated in one HP and one-gallon capacity.
Compared to another air compressor this one is cheaper and more convenient to run in the working place. It delivers 20-44 drives per minute that is an advanced and elevated performance. It is also backed with a one-year warranty that makes it more perfect for workshop tasks.
You can easily use senco air compressor for home garage too. You can personally use it and can suggest to others to make this equipment work for others. It is easy to run and requires low maintenance. It is one of the best air compressor for framing.
- Easy to operate
- Lightweight and Portable
- Best for home renovation
- Requires regular maintenance
- Not easy to move on a wheel
BOSTITCH: Best Budget Air Compressor for Framing Crew
- The pancake air compressor deliver Max 150 PSI for faster framing result.
- A large 6.0 Gallon tank can provide long service without electricity.
- It start up easily in cold weather.
- High Flow regulator and couplers can handle 2-4 framing nail gun easily.
This is one of the best air compressors from BOSTITCH, it is a pancake design machine that is easy to maintain and use. It comes with 150 PSI and 6.0-gallon tank that makes the task easier. We can easily use it in 90 PSI Pressure. We can use this also for your framing task, which is very easy to deliver by this machine.
It is easily maintained in cool weather and can be run very smoothly. You can use it from anywhere by its long extension cord application, it can reach any corner. The noise level is a little bit higher but that is adjustable with the listening power. There is a high flow regulator and couplers to maximize air tool performance in our workshop.
It is a long-life oil-free and maintenance-free compressor that you can use for years. You will not only personally love this machine but also will support others if you suggest them.
- Easy to run and start up smoothly in cold weather
- Oil-free compressor
- High efficiency with better CFM
- No hose and gun kit included
- Not easy to move on a wheel
PORTER CABLE Air Compressor for Framing Crew
- Large 6-gallon air tank can run any framing nail gun.
- It creates up to 150 PSI power.
- Porter Cable maintained ISO 1217 standard.
- Box comes with 13-piece accessories included.
This is another piece of pancake-style air compressor that is very much stable. It gives longer air tool performance and comes with a portable design. This air compressor is 6-gallon capacity and can be used for framing tasks.
You will find this air compressor with a 13-piece accessory kit that will make your task easier. It comes with 150 PSI that has a longer tool run time too. You can easily run this at 90 PSI. It is made as per ISO 1217 standard.
This factory-installed air compressor is very much useful for framing tasks. You can use yourself and suggest to others about the features. The attached cable also makes it easy to install and run.
- Easy to maintain
- Can handle heavy duty framing tools
- Easy troubleshooting
- Not easy to move
- No wheels installed
What size air compressor for framing nailer?
Framing nailer comes in different types which often use to deal with a certain task like deck building, fencing, sub-flooring, and framing. But it is also true some framing nailers even don’t require any air compressor to do the job. Let’s have a look at which framing nailer demands an air compressor:
- Pneumatic Framing Nailer: it needs an extremely powerful air compressor better if it is portable.
- Cordless Framing Nailers: don’t need an air compressor as it is run on fuel cartridges and charged batteries
- Brushless Framing Nailer: in most cases, it can handle the job without air compressor.
So only a pneumatic framing nailer needs an air compressor. Taking this into count we will move forward.
Air compressor size based on tank and CFM
Before discuss on air compressor tank size for framing, let’s have a look at a different type of pneumatic framing nailer and recommended CFM:
|Diffrents type of pneumatic nailer||Compressor type||Recommede3d CFM|
|Pin nailer||Pancake/portable||2.0 CFM, 1 Gallon|
|Finish nailer||Pancake/portable||2.0 CFM, 2 – 3 Gallon|
|Brad nailer||Pancake/portable||2.0 CFM, 2 Gallon|
|Roofing nailer||Portable||4.0 CFM, 6 Gallon|
|Framing nail guns||Portable||4.0 CFM, 4 – 6 Gallon|
|Sheathing stapler||Portable||4.0 CFM, 4 – 6 Gallon|
|2-4 nail guns at once||Wheelbarrow||6+ CFM, 6 gallon|
So while choosing a portable air compressor for a pneumatic framing nailer checks that it has 4.0 CFM.
Usually, portable air compressor’s tank size varies from 2 to 20 gallons. If you need something for working on a remote site in a large project, choose a bigger tank size. Otherwise, a smaller tank size will be good enough for your own garage.
Following the list will help choose the required air compressor for different scenarios:
- 2-4 gallons of tank size: ideal for indoor use and working on semi-professional nailing project. Besides, it will be enough for DIY stuff and pet projects, and all kinds of light activities.
- 4-6 gallons: consider this size for a single nailer that needs to take outdoor. This can take a medium-sized workload even some handyman use it for heavy-duty work.
- 6-10 gallons: if you need to run two or more nail guns, pick this size air compressor. It’s a fully professional-grade tank size that also lasts long.
How to set up Air Compressor with Nail Gun
Setting up the air compressor is equally exciting as getting the new one. Though many air compressors come in full assembly and can be operated straight out of the box, some basic installation is a must need for all.
Check the pump oil
Most small and mid-size air compressors have an oil-free pump. So, if you already have one, you can skip this step. But if you buy a larger air compressor, it is likely to be an oil-filled pump. To check the oil level, you have to pull out the dipstick, which is mostly located near the bottom of the end of the compressor.
You will have to pour some oil into the compressor’s tank, which can be found at the local hardware store or online. But make sure you’re pouring compatible compressor oil in the tank. You can read the user manual to find the suggested brand or type.
Connect the hose to the compressor’s regulator valve
Firstly, place your air compressor on a flat surface and find its regulator valve. In most air compressors, the regulator valve is located near the smaller pressure gauge. The regular valve is a copper-colored, round-shaped metal plug that has a big hole in the center. To attach the hose, simply push its pointed end into the regulator valve.
Plug the power tool into the air hose
Hold both the power tool and the hose with two hands and then slide the plug of the tool into the free end of the hose. Now twist both the tool and the hose at a time and continue twisting until the power tool successfully locks in place.
Plug the air compressor
Turn off the power switch of the compressor before plugging it into an outlet. If the compressor doesn’t reach the energy outlet, plug in multiple air hoses but don’t use extension cords. Follow the same procedure as connecting the power tool to the air hose to attach the two hoses together. Using an extension cord can cause the air compressor to overheat.
What Type of Air Compressor for Framing crew?
As we have discussed about different types of air compressor. But what is the exact type of compressor we need? We will now share the relevant knowledge with you.
- At first the compressor should be powerful. In that case, pancake type compressor is very useful for framing tasks. It creates necessary types of power and pressure to get the task done.
- The compressor should create proper PSI for the expected results. So, average 90 PSI is the targeted pressure, if the compressor gives such pressure then it will be the right choice. We can also select compressor that creates more pressure upto 120 PSI to 150 PSI.
- Check the movability of the compressor. Compressor with wheels and extra handle are easy to move from one place to other. It will make it handy and easy to move in the worksite.
- You will need a hose to connect with the framing nailer and the air compressor, be sure about that.
- Noise of air compressor is another issue that will trouble you. So, try to get one ultra-quiet or low noise making compressor.
You have to select your air compressor model according to these criteria and it will be the perfect one you need for framing.
Factors to pick the Best Air Compressor for Framing Crew
Have you checked our proposed product line? They are the best from the stores and can be compared to any other product based on their quality. But if you have decided to buy another air compressor from a physical store or online, you need to know some technical stuff. You can check our buying guide and gather the knowledge easily.
Now we will discuss the technical features we need to check out before getting an air compressor. So, come on with us and have the special tricks that will get you an awesome compressor from the stack of brands.
When you are working on a framing task, you need a good horsepower air compressor. You can go for a 1.0 t 2.0 HP compressor that will give you the necessary power to work easily. There are different types of compressors around, but with only 30-40 PSI you cannot do framing, You will need at least 90 PSI from the air compressor.
There are different types of tanks attached with air compressors. But the pancake type and the capsule type is the best. With a larger tank, you can work uninterruptedly and you can cover more areas. Framing crews should look over for a compressor with around 6-gallon tanks.
CFM and PSI
When we are working with an air compressor we need to know about PSI and CFM. In the case of PSI, it means pounds per inch, which means as much PSI you will have, your task will be easier. The issue is very important, you can see that if your compressor is producing around 90 PSI then it is easy to run the device for framing. On the other hand, the CFM means Cubic feet per minute, which means with a higher CFM you can cover more area for painting. But in the case of framing, it is helpful too.
You need to get an air compressor that comes with both oiled or oil-free maintenance. Oil-free maintenance is very good and you need not to maintain the compressor for a longer time. It will be good equipment for your workshop. On the other hand, oil maintenance is also a good feature to have on an air compressor. You can use your compressor for years if there is an oiled maintenance issue. So, in this case, both oil-free and oiled maintenance air compressors are perfect for use.
Now there are many compressors available that are ultra-quiet. So, you will have no noise while the machine is running, it is better to get a similar one. Generally, these air compressors make different levels of sounds. When you buy, try to get a silent one. If not possible or if the budget does not fit then get a compressor that makes less sound. What is the problem with the sound of the compressor? It will hamper our ears and will make the listening powerless.
Air compressors are mostly heavyweight equipment. It is more stable when it is set in a corner of a room and ready to perform. Some compressors are attached to them to move from one place to another with fewer efforts. It is a good feature overall. There might be many models that are not with wheels, we can use a carrier for them to move from one place to another. There are more options for carrying, you will find handles to carry the whole compressor that weighs around 30 pounds.
You will need various types of accessories with the compressor to make it perform for many works. But all the compressor does not include the accessory kits. So, when you are getting an air compressor, try to have the accessory kit, attached with the compressor. You will have the benefit when using the device for any purpose.
In most of the cases, the air compressor does not include the hose. It is very much essential when you are painting, framing, and doing other tasks. So, get a compressor that includes a hose with it. It will make your task smoother and you will get comfort in all tasks. Getting a hose separately in most cases does not fit properly.
As we have discussed a lot about the technical features, you should know about a compressor. For each indicator, check the features of the compressor and then go for selection. You may have some limitations on the budget, try to adjust with the features or increase the budget. You will get the best framing air compressor.
FAQs on Best Air Compressor for Framing Crew
We have collected some common FAQs and answered them to give you more ideas. These will give you more conceptual ideas on an air compressor.
Can a pancake compressor run a framing nailer?
Yes, a pancake compressor can operate a framing nailer easily. The pancake shape compressors are very well manufactured to provide necessary task support properly. So, choosing a pancake-type compressor is a perfect decision.
Will a 3-gallon air compressor run a framing nailer?
Generally, a 6.0-gallon air compressor is perfect for a framing nailer. But, 3-gallon air compressors also can provide the necessary support and get it done too. As many large air compressors, you will get, the framing task will be easier.
Which is a better oil or oil less air compressor?
For a short time, usage, the oil less air compressor is a good solution. But these machines need maintenance, so with an oil compressor it will be better to have regular maintenance and use for a longer time. Oil less compressors will require maintenance after a while, so the oil air compressor is better.
Is a higher CFM a better air compressor?
In all cases, higher CFM is not better. If you are using an air compressor for painting, then a higher CFM is perfect. But if you are using the compressor for framing, then higher CFM is not mandatory. So, you choose the air compressor according to your need.
How often should an air compressor be drained?
For better results, each air compressor needs to be drained. But it is not required on a regular basis. If we drain the compressor once a month, then it will be in perfect condition to work smoothly.
Select your desired Air Compressor for Framing Nailer
As we have discussed in detail the best air compressor for framing crew throughout the article. You can both select products from our suggested product line, or you can choose others from so many options as per your choice. Knowledge about the product will allow you to select products wisely. We wish that you may enjoy using an air compressor for the framing tasks.