Drywall isn’t very tough but still requires a special drill bit to create a precise hole in it. Whether you want to hang, mount, or attach something, you must use the best drill bit for drywall to keep everything intact. Even using the best drywall drill bit will make the anchoring or screwing task more secure to the hanging heavier objects.
DIYers Pick: 3 Best Drill Bits for Drywall
|Makita A-98859 Impactx||Color: Black/Blue
Dimensions: 3.35 x 4.72 x 0.28 inches
Material: Alloy Steel
Drive System: Phillips
Number Of Pieces: 50
|DEWALT DW5207||Color: Orange
Shank Type: 3-Flat
Dimensions: 7.75 x 6.63 x 0.5 inches
Tool Flute Type: Spiral
|ARROW 160455||Color: Silver
Drive System: Phillips
Head Style: Pan
Dimensions: 1.4 x 5.1 x 7.4 inches
Following the guide, we have reviewed the five best drill bit sets that are specially designed to work on drywall. The drill bits are also compatible with various surfaces, including masonry and concrete, and can withstand high pressure and toque.
So, whether you are using an impact driver or a cordless drill, these versatile drill bit sets will help make the drywall application efficient. The guide also includes a simple process of how to drill into drywall and some buying tips.
Top Pick Drill Bit
Makita: Best Insert Drill Bit for Drywall
- The drywall drill bits have precision-designed tips for complete contact between surface and bit.
- These drill bits for drywall screws are constructed with S2 steel for extra durability.
- Design through the heat-treating process, these drill bits won’t get heat easily.
- The drill bit has a manganese phosphate surface, so it won’t cause corrosion.
- Brand Name: Makita
- Material: Alloy Steel Number of Bits Include: 50
- Customer Rating on Amazon: 4.5 Out Of 5
It’s a solely dedicated drill bit package from Makita for drilling into drywall. Rather than stripping, this inserts bit set will offer professional-grade jobs with minimum effort. Although these drywall drill bits work with an impact driver, it is better to drive them with a cordless drill for a better experience.
The set includes 50 premium quality drill bits that are treated by heat for improved durability and toughness. Thus, these heavy-duty drill bits are a reliable choice among professional drywall contractors.
- These impact-rated drywall bits are durable and ensure a great bite, even on 3-inch screws without stripping. The set is also affordable and has a long lifespan.
- Some drill bits can be slightly shorter than full size and can wear out.
DEWALT: Masonry Drill Bits Set for Drywall
- Design with rock carbide tip, these masonry drill bits ensure maximum surface contact to retain their longevity.
- These drill bit for drywall anchor comes with 4 flutes to clean debris efficiently while drilling through drywall with minimal pressure.
- The drill bit has three flats on the shank to ensure a secure fit into the drill’s chuck for slippage-free drilling.
- These multi-purpose drills are suitable for a variety of surfaces, including masonry, concrete, and brick.
- Brand Name: DEWALT
- Material: Carbide
- Flute Type: Flute Number of Bits Includes: 7
- Warranty: 1 Year
- Customers Rating at Amazon: 4.7 Out Of 5
Many experts recommend applying a masonry drill bit to drill through the drywall. Apart from this, it’s a multi-functional drill bit that prevents slippage while ensuring maximum surface contact. More importantly, these 7 pieces masonry drill bit comes in 5 different sizes of the chuck to offer various size holes, especially for the mechanical anchor. And when the brand name is Dewalt you can remain confident about durability.
- The drill bits come in a variety of sizes for versatile use and are compatible with both corded and cordless power drills. It even offers a snug fit to the wall anchor without any slippage and won’t wear out quickly.
- The set doesn’t include a 1/8 inch bit, which is helpful for the pilot hole. Slower and steady pressure will help retain longevity.
ARROW: Best Drill Bit for Drywall Screws and Anchor Kit
- This set includes two different-sized drywall bits to create a hole in drywall efficiently.
- These drywall drill bits come in a hard plastic that keeps them well organized and prevents loss.
- Comes at the lowest price, these versatile drill bits are suitable for mounting, hanging, or attaching objects to the drywall, making them the best drill bit for drywall anchor.
- Brand Name: Arrow
- Material: Plastic
- Head Design: Pan
- Customers’ Rating at Amazon: 4.6 Out Of 5
If you are looking for a bulky combo of drywall drill bits and accessories at an unbeatable price, check out this ARROW Drywall Drill Bit Set. The set includes two different sizes of bits and a massive number of anchor screws and tapping screws. So, whether your project is hanging, mounting, or attaching something to the drywall, having this drill bit set will offer flexibility over any application.
- This drywall drill bit set will offer versatility on lots of home improvement tasks while coming at the lowest price. The bits are also quite durable and ensure perfect anchoring and screw fastening in the drywall for the most secure hanging and mounting.
- Some anchors are flimsy and can bend while being inserted into a drywall hole. and the drill bit is only for light-duty applications.
Best for Drilling Drywall
Owl Tools: Masonry Drill Bits for Drywall
- These drill bits are coming in a hard plastic bit holder to keep the drill bits safe and well organised.
- This masonry drill bit has a carbide tip that retains sharpness for a long time.
- The set includes a variety of sizes of drywall drill bits to allow you to create various-sized accurate holes.
- These multi-functional drill bits are compatible with a variety of surfaces.
- Design with spiral flutes to remove dust quickly for efficient drilling through the hard surface.
- Brand Name: Owl Tools
- Material: Carbide
- Flute Type: Spiral
- The Number of Bits Includes: 10
- Customers’ Rating at Amazon: 4.4 Out Of 5
This set of Owl Tools masonry drill bits is the perfect choice for novice DIYers to enjoy precise drilling into drywall. Along with four other sized drill bits, this set includes a 1/8-inch drill bit, resulting in allow to create of a pilot hole to ensure slip-free drilling. With a carbide top design, these masonry drill bits won’t lose their sharpness quickly, making them perfect for repeated use on a variety of surfaces, including drywall.
- This masonry drill bit set is the perfect choice for working on sensitive surfaces like glass, and ceramic, including drywall. The set offers a precise hole at minimal pressure and allows you to start with a pilot hole. It’s an affordable drywall set and perfect for long-term use.
- The drill bit may not withstand high pressure and is most suitable to use with a hammer drill.
DEWALT: Drill Bit for Drywall Anchor
- Design through the heat treats process, the drill bits promise impressive hardness.
- This Dewalt drill bit set offers increased driving power and higher torque for convenient drilling through the drywall.
- The drill bits are made of shock-resistant steel to ensure maximum durability.
- These drywall drill bits are compatible with any power drill, including cordless drills and impact drivers.
- Brand Name: Dewalt
- Material: Alloy Steel
- The Number of Bits Includes: 25
- Warranty: 1 Year
- Customers’ Rating at Amazon: 4.5 Out Of 5
This set includes some specially designed drywall drill bits that are superb for installing 2 Phillips head screws. Even when compared to other well-known brands, the PR2 reduced head of these drill bits allows for the insertion of 3-inch screws with an impact driver.
Even these drywall drill bits impressed the professional DIYer with their superior tip design that seated perfectly on the drywall surface. Another impressive thing is, this drywall drill bit comes with a 1-year warranty. Hopefully, now guess the name. Of course, it’s Dewalt.
- This drywall drill bit set comes at a fairly decent price while offering maximum durability over a variety of surfaces. The drill bit is also easier to use and has an impressive tip design for slip-free drilling.
- These drill bits are mainly suitable for drywall hanging, so they won’t offer better service over different surfaces.
Buying Guides to pick the Best Drill Bit for Drywall
Different of types of drill bits is available that is suitable for drilling into drywall. Among them, most DIYers use masonry drill bits, especially to create a larger hole through drywall. The other types of drill bits are the brad point drill bit, spade drill bit, and hole saw drill bit. A spade drill bit is an economical choice and ideal for various surfaces.
Drywall isn’t much harder, but you should still use a sturdy drill bit to withstand the heat. In this case, a carbide drill is preferable, especially if it can retain the sharpness for a long time and offer durable service. Apart from that, you can trust alloy steel and even plastic for light-duty jobs.
The size is used in two ways while choosing the best drill bit for drywall; the shank size and the point size.
This part of the drill bit fits into the chuck of the drill. So, the shank must be compatible with your drill’s chuck. Typically, the chuck size of a drill comes in ¼-inch, 3/8-inch, and ½-inch. Despite three flats, a longer shank is preferable to prevent slipping.
A drill bit with a 1/16-inch to ½ -the inch endpoint is perfect for household tasks while 5/16-inch to 1/2-inch drill bit is suitable for tough drilling applications. Hanging something on drywall also requires a variety of sizes of bit. So, you should pick accordingly.
Drywall has a smooth surface and may tend to slip when you start drilling on it. Aside from offering a better start, a drill bit with a four-flute design will help clean the debris quickly. Thus, you will have efficient drilling through the drywall.
How to Drill a Hole into Drywall
Drilling a hole into drywall is a straightforward task. Simply follow these precautions and suggested tools.
Use the Right Drill Bit
Firstly, check the building material to be sure whether it is drywall or a typical wall. If you find the wall is smooth and produces a hollow sound while knocking on it, then it is probably drywall, like plasterboard or sheetrock. So, you can confidently use a drywall bit to create regular-sized holes on this surface.
But if you want to drill through a stud after the drywall, use a wood drill bit. Likewise, you will need a screwdriver and a right size drywall anchor to hang something on the wall.
Avoid Wiring and Pipes
Avoid drilling below or over the electric outlets, light switches, pipes, and other electrical fixtures. A wire detector can prevent you from making mistakes. If you need to drill near an electric outlet, cut off the line before proceeding.
Conversely, use a stud finder to locate the stud behind the plasterboard or sheetrock wall. Drilling through studs is essential for hanging heavy items like mirrors and painting over the drywall.
Mark the Area
After deciding where to drill, mark the area with a pencil to create a hole at the accurate spot. Use a level to maintain the correct lineup when drilling plenty of holes.
Drill a Hole
For a drill hole into the drywall at a certain depth, measure the length of the drill bit and mark it with masking tape. If your cordless drywall screw guns feature depth gauges, you don’t need to use masking tape.
Set your drill speed at the lowest setting at the initial stage of drilling into drywall and apply gentle pressure. Once your drill starts penetrating the drywall, gradually increase the speed while keeping the pressure steady. Within a short time, you will discover a hole in the drywall.
FAQs on Best Drill Bit for Drywall
Does it require a special drill bit for drilling into drywall?
Drywall has a soft surface and a sharp standard drill bit can drill through it. But for drilling a bigger hole into drywall, use a spade bit. It has a flat cutting head with a center point, making it easier to drill accurate spots. Even spade bits are economical and suitable for multiple surfaces.
Do I need to create a pilot hole for drilling into drywall?
If your drill bit has a pointed tip, you don’t require any pilot hole. But if you are using a dull tipped bit, you should create a pilot hole before drilling into it. Otherwise, the drill bit can start slipping.
Is drywall too hard to drill through?
Drywall is quite soft and you can use a dull bit to drill through it. But you should use a sharp drill bit to drill efficiently into the drywall. Using a used drill bit can cause difficulties.
How to pick the right size drill bit for a wall anchor?
The drill bit should be large enough to drill through the wall and it should allow you to push the anchor easily into the wall. Despite making sure the drill bit has the same body as anchor. In most cases, a 1/2-inch drill bit is preferable for wall anchors.
One can use drywall for various purposes, including hanging pictures, mirrors, or attaching a towel rack. It means you have a variety of reasons for creating a hole in drywall, but you are limited in choosing the drill bit. So, using the best drill bit for drywall is the only way to complete the purpose of keeping the drywall undamaged.
Throughout the guide, we have reviewed some of the best drywall drill bits that come from reliable brands and have a reputation for making the drywall drilling task efficient, and precise, making them a worthwhile investment.