If you are a professional DIYer, you must be in search of the best hole saw for cutting thick metal. Because you definitely understand that there are various options available regarding this tool and only the right hole saw can properly cut your metal and provide you with the successful execution you long for.
The selection process of this hole saw can be a time-consuming task as it requires thorough research due to having a wide range of quality and price products. But there’s no need to worry because we are here to help you to make the selection process easier for you with our pieces of information and narrowed-down list of best hole saws.
DIYers Pick: 5 Best Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal
|DEWALT Hole Saw Kit||Color: Yellow
3 x 9.8 x 7.3 inches
Weight: 4.69 Pounds
|Milwaukee Professional Hole Saw||Color: White
9.5 x 16.5 x 4.75 inches
Weight: 13.55 Pounds
|Sungator Hole Saw Kit||Color: Red
Metal, Plastic, Wood
10.59 x 8.5 x 3.11 inches
Weight: 3.79 Pounds
|EZARC Carbide Hole Cutter Set||Color: Silver
Metal, Plastic, Stainless Steel
3.94 x 2.13 x 11.02 inches
Weight: 1.23 Pounds
|Greenlee Hole Saw||Color: Ash
Material: Stainless Steel
9.1 x 7.7 x 2.2 inches
Weight: 1.39 Pounds
Our aim is to provide you with the top 7 hole saws that you should consider in order to cut through thick materials. We not only plan on discussing their features and specifications but also look forward to giving you a vivid outlook on their advantages and disadvantages as well. Therefore, we recommend you to go through this entire article as we guarantee you it will help you make a well-informed decision.
Top Hole Saw
DEWALT: Hole Saw for Cutting Metal
- DEWALT D180005 Hole Saw comes in variable sizes of diameter from 0.9-2.5 inches for a wide range of applications.
- The two changeable mandrels this machine offers to ensure fast charging.
- The dual tooth design ensures efficiency and strength during operation.
- The strong backing plates of the hole saw durability and great support for accuracy.
- Straight drilling and precision height placements are possible for the utilisation of the door-lock kit.
- The C-clamp design prevents surface damage and allows tool-free clamping.
- The saw offers various bits in order to maximise versatility.
- The adjustable bushing due to the door-lock kit is available.
- Storage, transportation, and organisation are easier due to the carrying case it comes with.
- Brand: Dewalt
- Material: Metal
- Dimensions: 3 x 9.8 x 7.3 inches
- Weight: 4.69 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.6 out of 5
If you are looking for the best hole saw for metal, it is safe to consider the DEWALT D180005 Hole Saw because of its great strength and load handling capability. Other than offering you maximum durability and stability, this best saw also has fast charging, precision cutting, surface damage prevention abilities. Besides these, it is also user-friendly and versatile. So, if you are not on a budget, make sure to look into this product.
- DEWALT Hole Saw is a durable product from a trusted brand. You will find this tool to be effortless to use. The teeth are quite long-lasting which contributes to the durability of the machine. The sizing options are remarkable. You will find the extra-deep gullets convenient. Lastly, the carrying case it comes with makes it not only portable but also easily storable.
- DEWALT Hole Saw is not the best option for cutting through thick metal. The quality of the product is questionable as there have been several complaints regarding the breakage of the tiny pieces. Moreover, the saw is quite expensive in comparison to the features it has to offer.
Milwaukee: Best Hole Saw for Metal
- Milwaukee 49-22-4185 Hole Saw comes in a set of 28 pieces and ensures a wide range of applications that require sizes of 0.75 to 4.75 inches.
- The teeth of matrix bi-metal of this saw ensure a 50% longer lifespan and user-friendly execution.
- It offers fast cutting and precision with its positive rake angle.
- The reduction of teeth stress is possible due to the radiuses tooth back of the machine.
- The deeper gullets of the hole saw offer fast removal of the chip.
- The plug is easily removable due to the functional slot geometry of the hole saw.
- The super sharp saw blade prevents the teeth from wearing off to ensure further durability.
- Brand: Milwaukee
- Compatible Material: Metal, Wood
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 16.5 x 4.75 inches
- Weight: 13.55 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.8 out of 5
Milwaukee 49-22-4185 Hole Saw is one of the top hole saws for thick metal. This is the perfect choice for professional use if you don’t have any restrictions regarding the cost. This set of hole saws offers great versatility with its 28 pieces as they cover a wide range of applications. Other than that, the saw also has some exceptional features like radiuses tooth back, positive rake angle, matric ll bi-metal build, functional slot geometry, etc.
- Milwaukee Hole Saw is highly reliable. It has excellent quality with a strong build. Compared to the other available products, this saw offers a 50% longer service life. The kit of the Milwaukee 49-22-4185 Hole Saw comes with various sizes of pieces and therefore ensures maximum versatility. You will effortlessly get clean and fast cuts with this saw. It is also quite user-friendly.
- The main problem with the Hole Saw is the price it comes in. as it is very expensive, it is not a great choice for hobbyists. Also, you may face difficulty and inconvenience during operation due to the heavyweight of the machine.
SUNGATOR Bi-Metal Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal
- SUNGATOR Bi-Metal Hole Saw is made of high-quality bi-metal material that ensures great durability by increasing lifespan up to 50%.
- The build of the machine ensures heat and corrosion resistance as well as rust-proof existence.
- The excellent hole cutting capability offers the users smooth and clean cuts with great precision.
- The varied cutting depth of 43 to 50 mm guarantees versatility and compatibility.
- It comes with 10 hole saws of 3/4, 7/8, 1-1/8, 1-3/8, 1-1/2, 1-3/4, 2, 2-1/8, 2-1/4, and 2-½ inches for various applications.
- The clear details and instructions of the user’s manual make the tool effortless to use.
- The plastic case this hole saw comes with makes storing and organizing the tool easier for the users while protecting the machine as well.
- Brand: SUNGATOR
- Material: Metal
- Compatible Material: Metal, Plastic, Wood
- Dimensions: 10.59 x 8.5 x 3.11 inches
- Weight: 3.79 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.5 out of 5
SUNGATOR Bi-Metal Hole Saw is one of the best hole saws for stainless steel. Among the several unique features this saw has to offer, the bi-metal build is extraordinary. Because due to this, the machine not only has high durability but also is heat and corrosion-resistant, and rust-proof. It also has some other attractive features like excellent hole cutting capability, compatibility, versatility, and other easy-to-use attributes at a low cost.
- SUNGATOR Bi-Metal Hole Saw offers great durability due to its high-quality build. It also offers versatility and compatibility. It is heat and corrosion-resistant. You will find it very easy to operate because of the instruction manual. The lightweight of the machine is also another attractive feature for users who prefer fatigue-free, comfortable applications. The saw comes with a plastic case for easy storage and all the other necessary accessories.
- SUNGATOR Bi-Metal Hole Saw may not be suitable for the professional-level application. There have also been several complaints regarding the quality of the blade as it is said to become dull only after a few uses.
EZARC Carbide Hole Saw for Cutting Metal
- EZARC Carbide Hole Saw is made of industrial-grade metal for a 10x longer service life.
- The exclusive brazing technology and tungsten carbide mechanisation of the machine prevents teeth breakage and prolong lifespan.
- It offers precise and fast cuts into aluminium, mild steel, FRP, cast iron, sheet metal, stainless steel effectively.
- The hole saw ensures accurate clean cuts with precision engineering.
- Smooth and fast removal of metal chips is possible due to the arc-chip pocket.
- The spring design of the machine scales down the chip blocking issues for convenience.
- Brand: EZARC
- Material: Carbide
- Compatible Material: Metal, Plastic, Stainless Steel
- Dimensions: 3.94 x 2.13 x 11.02 inches
- Weight: 1.23 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.6 out of 5
If you are on the lookout for the best metal cutting hole saw while being on a budget, then you should definitely look at the EZARC Carbide Hole Saw. Other than the exceptional durability due to the industrial-grade carbide build, this machine has several eye-catching and application easing attributes that make it one of our top choices. The features that differ greatly from others include exclusive tungsten carbide mechanisation, arc chip pocket, spring design, and brazing technology. Affordability is another attractive quality of this hole saw.
- EZARC Carbide Hole Saw is of remarkable quality. It offers maximum accuracy and precision. The saw can cut through the thickest metal without wearing off. You will find the fast removal of metal chips highly convenient during operation. It doesn’t cause any vibrations while cutting through heavy-duty materials. The machine comes at a considerably low price in comparison to the exceptional features it has to offer.
- The main problem with the EZARC Carbide Hole Saw is that the teeth may come loose after a few uses. Other than that, storing and organising the saw is difficult as it doesn’t come with any storage case.
Greenlee 660: Hole Saw for Metal
- Greenlee 660 Hole Saw is made of cobalt steel material for strength and durability.
- It ensures safe performance for the materials by preventing over drilling with its flange stop.
- Effortless slug removal is possible due to the ejector spring the machine offers.
- The replaceable pilot drill of cobalt steel prevents walking with the help of the split-point tip.
- The carbide teeth of the machine ensure longer service life and optimization of performance.
- It comes with various sizes of cutter heads, hex keys, and a quick-change auger.
- The easily accessible push-button feature ensures user-friendly execution.
- Brand: Greenlee
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Dimensions: 9.1 x 7.7 x 2.2 inches
- Weight: 1.39 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.8 out of 5
Greenlee 660 Hole Saw is one of the top lightweight hole saws for cutting metal that should definitely be on your bucket list if you are not on a budget. This efficient tool can cut through the thickest metals with its precision carbide teeth. This product is made of cobalt steel material and therefore can survive all sorts of heavy applications with grace and optimized performance. It has exceptional features like flange stop, ejector spring, split-point tip, push-button for easy access, etc. These features ensure effortless and effective operation.
- Greenlee Hole Saw is highly durable due to its strong build and offers fantastic performance. You will find it easy to operate due to the feature that prevents over drilling. You can effortlessly remove the slug for convenience. You can effortlessly utilise and clean the machine as well. The wear-resistant quality of the tool ensures a long-time service. The tool is lightweight and therefore promotes fatigue-free, comfortable operation. Lastly, the machine comes with all the necessary accessories.
- The main problem with the Greenlee 660 Hole Saw is the cost as it is not very budget-friendly. Another thing that may be an issue for you is the occurrence of losing spring as it tends to come off.
LENOX: Metal Cutting Hole Saw kit
- LENOX Tools 308042000G Hole Saw is made of T3 technology that offers better durability and performance.
- It comes with all general sizes of hole saw to ensure compatibility and versatility.
- Tooth loss minimisation and durability optimisation are possible due to the improved wall thickness advantages.
- It has made metal penetration easier with its tooth design optimisation.
- The plug ejection is easier due to the speed slot design and sharp teeth of the machine.
- The staircase design of the speed slot ensures easy removal of plug for convenience.
- Brand: LENOX tools
- Compatible Material: Metal, Wood
- Dimensions: 14.5 x 4 x 10 inches
- Weight: 11.59 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.8 out of 5
If you are in search of the most high-rated metal cutting hole saw kit, make sure to look into the LENOX Tools 308042000G Hole Saw. This hole saw is made by following the T3 technology that prolongs the service life of the saw while also ensuring high performance and efficiency. This saw has some amazing features that promote user-friendly applications and effectiveness. Such as tooth loss minimisation, tooth design optimisation, plug ejection, speed slot, etc.
- LENOX Hole Saw is a long-lasting product that you can conveniently use for years due to its excellent build. It has a superb cutter style. The latches of the machine also have great durability. The loss of tooth of the saw is also minimal. The plug ejection of the saw is effortless. You can easily remove the plug without facing any difficulty.
- LENOX Hole Saw is quite expensive in comparison to the other available options. Besides that, you may also find it to be a bit heavy and therefore may face difficulty during operation. Lastly, as the arbor of the saw doesn’t come with a self-extraction mechanism, you may not feel secure while operating with it.
Milwaukee Electric Hole Saw kit for Cutting Thick Metal
- Milwaukee Electric Hole Saw is made of durable material and offers a long-time service life.
- It can cut through metals and plastics of ⅛ inches thick.
- Impact drives of the machine offer professional-level hole making with the thin wall saw.
- The hole saw comes with an 8-TPI designed thin wall and hex shank of ¼ inches.
- Faster burr-free cuts are possible due to the unique construction of the hole saw.
- Removal of slugs is easier due to the ejection spring the saw has to offer.
- The top-shoulder design of the machine offers prevention from damaging junction and electrical boxes as well as over drilling.
- Brand: Milwaukee
- Dimensions: 6.9 x 7.5 x 2.7 inches
- Weight: 0.45 Pounds
- Customer Review on Amazon: 4.4 out of 5
Milwaukee Electric Tool 49-22-4800 Hole Saw is one of the most light-weighted hole saws available in the market. It has an excellent structure and unique build that ensures a longer service life and effective operation. The machine has several unique features that make it one of the best metal cutting hole saws. The most intriguing features of the Milwaukee Electric hole saw are the impact drives, faster burr-free cuts, 8-TPI design, ejection spring, etc.
- Milwaukee Electric Tool 49-22-4800 Hole Saw is a lightweight tool suitable for DIY projects. You will find it easy to operate. The lightweight will provide you with a comfortable and fatigue-free operation. You can effortlessly remove slugs and get faster cuts. Over drilling won’t be an issue with this hole saw. You will also find the price of the saw to be quite budget-friendly in comparison to the features it offers.
- The main problem with the Milwaukee Electric Tool 49-22-4800 Hole Saw is its quality. There have been several complaints regarding the durability of the machine as it is said to become dull only after a few uses.
Factors to pick the Best Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal
As you are searching for the best hole saw for cutting thick metal, it is important to familiarise yourself with the features and attributes to look out for to ensure a successful purchase. It will also help you understand your requirements according to the project at hand.
As hole saws are quite expensive, it is essential to buy the product from a trusted brand. The brand must not only be reputed but also needs to offer good customer support. Only a good brand can ensure a good quality product that will offer both durability and reliability. Therefore, make sure to get your hole saw from a reliable source so that you don’t regret it later.
There are two types of hole saws. One is corded and the other one is battery-powered. Depending on your project requirements, you’ll need to choose which type of hole saw will satisfy your needs. If your first preferences are speed and reliability then you should go for the corded hole saw. However, if your workstation is somewhere outdoors where you don’t have access to a power outlet then go for the battery-powered hole saw.
Durability is one of the most important factors to consider. The material that is used to build the hole saw solely contributes to the durability of the product. And therefore, before choosing your hole saw, make sure to look into the building material first. Also, know that the more durable the product material will be, the cost will also increase simultaneously.
When you are dealing with cutting through tough materials, the saws tend to wear and tear. As a result, the cutting efficiency also decreases significantly. Therefore, make sure to choose a hole saw that has a heat resistance and doesn’t wear off easily when cutting through difficult materials.
How to Cut Thick Metal by Hole Saw?
You can easily cut thick metal by using a hole saw. In fact, hole saws are capable of cutting through tough material with great precision in a fraction of time. The fact that they come in several sizes also helps you a great deal when you are dealing with various projects. The first step of cutting through thick metal by a hole saw is to make a pilot hole by drilling after marking the center on the metal. This will help you get accurate results.
Now, you’ll need to place the drill bit of your hole saw into the created hole. Afterward, you’ll need to make the cut with a driver or drill. Now, you’ll need to strop the drill once you notice that the saw has broken through the flip side. In the last step, you’ll have to set the disc aside. In order to do so, first, turn off the drill and then stick out the disc slowly and carefully.
FAQs on Best Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal
How thick of steel can a hole saw cut?
The thickness of a steel a hole saw can cut through completely depends on the material of the hole saw. In order to cut metal, the hole saw needs to be made of either tungsten carbide, HSS or MHS. if you are using a hole saw of TC or HSS, you can cut through steels of 4 mm thickness. However, if you want a hole saw that can cut through unalloyed or alloyed steels of up to 20 mm, you should consider the MHS ones.
Will a carbon steel hole saw cut through metal?
Carbon steel hole saws can cut through metal but it depends on the thinness of the material. But choosing a carbon steel hole saw for this purpose is not a smart choice. These hole saws are made for general purpose usage and not heavy-duty applications. They are not very durable and you should only use this type of hole saws to cut through soft materials like wood, non-laminated plastic, and plasterboard. So, for cutting through metal you should go for bi-metallic options rather than the carbon steel saws.
How do you cut large holes in metal?
In order to make holes in metal, the most recommended tool is a hole saw, also known as a hole cutter. These saws are capable of making accurate round holes into materials of wood, metal, etc. whereas drill bits can also make holes in metal, for larger holes, the smart option is to use a hole saw. Other than a hole, you can also use a chisel, hollow metal punch, bow drill, etc.
What are carbide hole saws used for?
The carbide hole saws are used for cutting through materials like wood and metal. These saws are highly capable because of the carbide material. They are not only durable but also provide maximum performance and efficiency in cutting through hard materials like metal. So, no matter how difficult and heavy-duty material you plan on cutting through, these carbide hole saws will still be able to do an accurate and precise job. Other than wood and metal, they can also cut through stainless steel, cast iron, aluminium, plastic, nail-embedded wood, etc.
In this article, we have discussed the best hole saws for cutting thick metal. We have provided you with a list of the top 7 available options from which you can choose according to your preference. To give a clearer view of each product so that you can make a well-informed decision, we have not only talked about their features and specifications but also vividly discussed their advantages and disadvantages.
For further convenience, we have also provided you with additional pieces of information like the buying guide of the product and how you can cut thick metal with a hole saw to help you familiarise yourself with the features and the process even further. We hope you found this article helpful and wish you the best of luck with your upcoming project.
- DIYers Pick: 5 Best Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal
- Factors to pick the Best Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal
- How to Cut Thick Metal by Hole Saw?
- FAQs on Best Hole Saw for Cutting Thick Metal